Ever wondered what Sugar Plums really are? Brace yourself…they are NOT sugar-coated plums.
If you really want to know, according to candy historians and the Oxford English Dictionary, a sugar plum is a comfit—that is, a seed, nut, or scrap of spice coated with a layer of hard sugar, like the crunchy outer case of an M&M.
So, there you go. It’s a really old fashioned version of M & M’s. And yes, they dance in my head sometimes.
Candy and other sugary sweets are the undoing of many during this jolly season .Understanding this “sticky” subject can help us navigate “through the seven levels of the candy cane forest, through the sea of swirly-twirly gum drops” and come out on the other side with the same awesome physique as Buddy the Elf!
• Sugar is a Carb.(It is one of the three macronutrients your body needs to give you fuel and energy.)
• All Carbs are NOT Bad.
• Only Simple Carbs are on the naughty list.
• Sugar is a Simple Carb. Yep, there it is. You should have seen that coming.
Simple Sugars Slippery Slope
• FAT: When you eat more than a SMALL amount of simple sugars, the liver processes it and turns it into FAT because there is nowhere the body can store it.
• ADDICTION: Because simple sugars give you a rush of energy as it enters the bloodstream you crave more and more of it which leads to vicious cycle of sugar addiction.
• INFLAMMATION: Simple sugars cause inflammation in your gut making it impossible for your body to digest your food properly resulting in weight gain.
• DISEASE: Constantly subjecting your body to an excess amount of simple sugars will eventually result in obesity which can lead to serious health conditions including Diabetes; a terrible and life-threatening disease.
Simple Sugars Naughty List
White sugar, brown sugar, cane sugar, simply syrups, high fructose corn syrup, artificial sweeteners, aspartame, sweetened coffees, teas or sodas and fruit juices.
Our body needs Glucose to thrive but we need to get it from HEALTHY sources such as fruits, legumes, whole grains and vegetables. These food sources will give us more energy and that energy will last LONGER. Complex carbs can help us enjoy the holidays more than ever before… even without a mouthful of M & M’s for breakfast!